Sunday, July 28, 2013

Lá Saor - A Day Off

Maidin mhaith, gach duine! It’s a beautiful morning here in An Cheathrú Rua, and, since it’s Sunday and we have the day free, I finally have a few moments to write.

Last Thursday evening, we had a lesson on céilí and set dancing. As per usual, the instruction was in Irish, and it actually seems like it would be rather easy to teach céilí dances and sets as Gaeilge. I mean, most of it is counting to seven, right? Anywho, we had a wonderful teacher who, at the age of 57, is still remarkable light on her feet. We learned the Conamara Set, but we learned it with a few variations that are particular to the area; I found this particularly interesting. Hopefully I’ll still remember it all by the time that I get back to the States!

I decided Friday afternoon that I desperately need to practice some dancing. There’s nothing quite like doing the Highland Fling while overlooking the lochs of Ireland! However, the floors around here are all concrete based. I did most of my practice outside, on a concrete deck while wearing tennis shoes. However, by the end of my comparatively brief practice session, both of my feet were hurting and not in a good way. I’m not entirely sure what to do about the practice situation but, seeing as I have the day off from classes, I’ll have to figure something out.

Yesterday, we went to Inis Oírr, the smallest of the Aran Islands. Like everything else in this part of the country, the island was absolutely lovely. We met up with a tour guide who gave us an introduction to the history of Inis Oírr and its monuments, such as the ruined castle on the top of the Island and the 10th century church and graveyard which lay a little closer to the coast. It was all very interesting a scenic. We were lucky in that the weather held out for most of the day; there was about a half an hour of down pour, but we were able to find shelter in a local pub.

I managed to have a conversation in Irish with some local shopkeepers on Inis Oírr.  They were surprised that I had Irish, and I was equally surprised that I could speak to them without worry or fumble. It was refreshing and reassuring feeling. Slowly but surely I am getting comfortable with speaking the language, even if I make frequent mistakes.


I have today—and every Sunday—off from classes. I’m actually very excited about this. I could use some time away and some time to myself. My roommate has gone off to mass, and I am sitting on my bed listening to the songs of the morning birds. I think that I may put on some Archer and stretch my feet. After lunch, I’m hoping to take a walk down to Trá na Reilige, a nearby beach with an old graveyard attached to it. I’d also like to fit some dancing into the day. Come what may, I am sure that it will be another great day in Ireland for me.

1 comment:

  1. WOW....This trip is absolutely amazing....I am so happy to hear that you are opening up and speaking with really thinking about it...Once you start dreaming in Gaeilge then you will be assimilated....

    PS.....I was walking down Regent St. past your old place and the flags that once hanged there taunted me and then they were gone....Miss ya man....

    ReplyDelete