Monday, July 29, 2013

Cúpla Grianghraf - A Few Photos

I am at school early this morning and I actually remembered to bring my computer. So here are some of the pictures that I have taken while on my trip. The pictures really don't due this place justice, but they are better thn nothing, I suppose.

This is the view that I get everyday walking home. Seriously though, photographs do not due it justice.

A nice little ogam sign that the family has. It's by the front door and reads "fáilte", meaning "welcoming".

Sign from Inis Oírr. 'Tiomáin go mall' = 'drive slowly'.

Another Irish sign from Inis Oírr.
The altar of the ruined church on Inis Oírr.

A close-up of the relief that is behind the church altar. It's lilkely to have been carved in the 10th century.
The castle ruins rising over Inis Oírr.
There are a few stone faces that stick out from the castle walls. They think that these are actually older than the castle and that they were found by the builders and put into the walls as decorations. I'm very curious to know what the story behind these carvings is; then again, we may never really know.

A view over Inis Oírr taken from the fort. This is a pretty good representation of the Irish countryside that I have seen.
Another abandonded church. This one is from Trá na Reilige (Cemetery Beach), about 40 minutes walk from where I am staying.

And to finish, here are some very friendly horses that I met yesterday while coming back from Trá na Reilige. Ireland has been full of friendly animals.

3 comments:

  1. looks beautiful. I am so happy you will have these pictures to always remind you of your trip!!
    Other Mother

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great scenery! Such a beautiful country! And those horses! Wow!!! Don't be skimpy on the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep them coming....A pictorial history of your trip is all I have ever asked....;-)...So here's my list....
    *your home
    *your room or the view from your room
    *the cemetary by the beach you were talking about
    *any sacred places in your area as well as ventured areas
    *the family you are staying with
    *your school
    *your dance class/school
    For the rest, just awesome scenes with you in them....YOU...

    ReplyDelete