Thursday, July 18, 2013

Safely Landed

I made it safely to Ireland. Flying with a head cold was definitely not the most graceful thing that I have ever done—changes in pressure while battling sinus problems just leads to disastrous headaches. Nevertheless, I made it and even managed to get a few hours of sleep on the plane.

I arrived in Shannon this morning at 7:30. From there I took Bus Éireann to Galway City. Along the way, I met a very nice family from Missouri, as well as several very friendly Irish people. So far everyone has been very kind and helpful. I am very grateful for that!

Traveling the Irish countryside this morning taught me two things:

1)      Irish speed limits are really just loose suggestions     
2)      The crows in Ireland could carry off a small child. Seriously, those things are huge. I can see why the Badb struck fear into people’s hearts!

After arriving in Galway City, I went about arranging my way to my hostel. I am staying at Corrib Village, a section of the University’s housing. I asked downtown at the information booth how to get to Corrib Village, and they told me that there was a regular shuttle bus that I could access. Well, I went to the pick-up location and no bus ever came. Drat. Oh well, it was a nice day outside and I decided to walk.

I ended up making my way around pretty much the entire campus before finally finding the back entrance to Corrib Village. Then I had to make my way all the way up to the registration house. It’s not that it was a bad it. I just sweat a lot and was rather moist by the time that I reached check-in. I figured, whatever, I’d shower once I got my room. Wrong.

I choose Corrib Village for a number of reasons: (1) It’s on campus which will help me out tomorrow as I will be leaving for An Cheathrú Rua from campus; (2) I was able to get a private room for cheap; and (3) there was a 24-hour check-in. Well, it seems that the last point was a bit exaggerated. Check-in is not until 4:00pm. So here I am at 12:15, full of sweat, wanting nothing more than a shower and a nap, and I am now sitting in the game room trying to slowly dry myself off—I am sure that I smell of foreign, German-bred despair.

Still, whatever. I am in Ireland! That’s the exciting part, no matter what my stench/moisture level is at. I am very excited to be here. It is absolutely lovely, even if a bit warm for my tastes. In fact, after posting this, I think that I may change my clothes quick in the bathroom and then go for a walk. Perhaps I will be able to find a watch. I hadn’t even thought to bring one, but seeing as I have no cell phone, I now have no way of telling what time it is or of setting an alarm. I may want/need those things in the near future.


Before I leave, though, here are some quick pictures that I took during my transits this morning. I have not heard any Irish spoken yet, but there are plenty of bilingual signs. Enjoy!

Bilingual sign at the airport bus station.

Bilingual sign from downtown Galway City.

1 comment:

  1. Did you bring your iPod? That could help for time and alarm once you switch the time zone, plus you can listen to it! Hope you were able to find a watch...I don't think there are many Wal-Marts in Ireland lol.

    ReplyDelete