Friday, July 19, 2013

My First Night in Ireland

Maidin mhaith, gach duine!

I made it through my first night in Ireland. I checked into my hostel, took a quick shower, medicated my head cold, and then promptly went to sleep. I laid down about 4:30pm and managed to sleep pretty much straight through until 7:30 am this morning. It was glorious. I did wake up once last night around midnight, and I could hear someone playing a whistle off in the distance. The folklore part of me was amused, and I chuckled to myself, “I’ve been in Ireland for less than a day. It is far too early into my trip to be absconded by the Gentry.”

My room was small but nice. While it had a musty smell that reminded me of the grandmother’s old club house, the bed was very comfortable. I will be staying at Corrib Village again for my last two nights in Ireland. It is a scenic place and the staff are very friendly. Plus I get a free breakfast. What more could I want in a place to stay?

The common room in my hostel suite.

My hostel room as I was packing up this morning. Cozy but comfortable.
I had to check out of the hostel this morning at 10:00am (it is currently quarter past ten over here). My bus for An Cheathrú Rua doesn’t leave the University until 2:30pm; so, I am keeping myself busy over in the game room, which is right across from the registration office. They have WiFi over here, and I figure that I will spend the morning managing my online affairs (that means taking care of you, dear reader), as well as editing the Gaelic Fusion videos. The best part is that the WiFi reaches outside. As long as the power supply on my laptop remains in good spirits, I will be able to sit and enjoy the lovely breeze this morning.

This is my view this morning as I write this post. 'Sé radharc álainn é.
I figured out how to text from my email yesterday. While I cannot receive texts on my phone, I can email text people who then can reply to my email address [I think that’s how it works?]. It’s a pretty neat system. So, if I text you at 2:00am, you’re welcome and I love you.

I am excited to head off to the Gaeltacht this afternoon. Thus far, I have seen Irish signs but have not heard any Irish spoken. I have, however, heard quite a bit of Polish, especially at the shops downtown. From what I have been told, and pardon the political incorrectness of this statement, the Polish are Ireland’s Mexicans. Nevertheless, I still find it comforting to hear Polish; it kind of reminds of being back in Stevens Point.

Speaking of language, I had a very nice Irish gentleman ask me this morning for a biro. Of course, being a freshly imported American and not knowing much Irish slang—other than to never ask for a “ride”—I politely stared at him and asked, “I’m sorry, a what? I’m not familiar with that word.” I now know that biro = pen in Hiberno-English. Thankfully, I did have several pens with me and was able to lend one the nice man. Still, I’m such a damn Yank.


And now, to end this lovely post, here is a picture that best sums up my day yesterday:

Apparently, if you attempt to wheel your luggage the two-ish miles from the center of Galway City to Corrib Village, your wheels go from rounded, rubber-covered contraptions to disemboweled flattened dragging surfaces.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post! You need to hear Mairtin de Cogain's song "Bridie and the Pole." It's a funny song about an Irishman whose wife leaves him for their Polish handyman.

    ReplyDelete